Sometimes we can have a treat as a snack that is still healthy and yummy!
This easy Banana Bread is Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Paleo. It’s delicious served lightly warm and toasted with some butter.
The best thing is that bananas are an energy food and are a great source of potassium, which is essential for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function. Their moisture and sweetness means you can reduce the amount of sweetener and oil considerably. In addition, protein-packed almonds are also full of healthy fats that are kind to your arteries and can help lower cholesterol as well as keep blood sugars stable. This makes a nice change from ‘store bought’ banana breads that are generally high in refined white flour, sugar and saturated fats.
- 300gm (3-4 medium) ripe bananas
- 200gm (2 cups) almond meal
- 25gm (1/4 cups) ground flaxseed (linseed)
- 50gm raw honey or organic maple syrup
- 50gm (1/4 cup) macadamia nut oil
- 3 free range / organic eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (bicarb soda)
- 1 tsp baking powder (alumimun-free)
- 1 tbs fresh lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven at 160 C – fan forced
- Combine smashed banana, honey, oil, vanilla, eggs, baking soda, baking powder and lemon. Use a blender like a Vitamix or Thermomix or you can do this by hand in a large bowl.
- Add the almond meal and flaxseed and mix well.
- Spoon batter into a loaf tin. The size I use is 14cm wide x 25cm long.
- Bake for 45minutes to 1 hour (a skewer inserted into the centre should come out dry).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before turning out the loaf.
- Keeps in the fridge covered for up to 1 week.
Courtesy to Teresa Cutter from book Purely Delicious. This recipe has been been slightly altered to suit. While this is a very healthy option, I still advise eating these kinds of sweet foods as occasional treats only. Cut the sweetener down even more if you can, to keep things even better for your wellbeing.