The introduction to veggie chips to my life a few years ago brought a hug smile to my face and continues to each time I eat them. Its now great to see them making an appearance in stores now but please be aware of the ingredients as some as still packed full of nasty additives! Here is a simple recipe to make your own veggie chips, with nothing but 3 ingredients courtesy of Food Matters and Healthy Mama Magazine
A great option for a snack or a lunchbox filling for the kids!
- 500g beetroot, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or I prefer coconut oil)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (plus a little extra for serving)
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 degrees
- Wash, top and tail, peep and thinly slice the beetroot using a hand mandolin or a food processor.
- Place the slice beetroot in a mixing bowl, together with the olive oil and salt. Mix until well coated.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and spread the beetroot slices out evenly (ensure they dont touch so you may need more than one tray)
- Place the trays in the oven and bake for 20-25mins or until crsipy and slightly brown. Be sure to watch closely around the 20 minute mark as they can burn quickly.
- Remove from oven, let cool. Then serve and sprinkle with extra salt if desired
* You can opt to use a mixture of vegetables to add more colours. My favourite is beetroot but another favourite is Sweet Potato, get creative.
*If you have a dehydrator you can make these chips overnight, do the same steps of 2-4 but then place in your dehydrator and leave for 10-12 hours or overnight.
NOTE: Best to eat right away or store in an airtight container for a few days.